Nagano is far more than just a skiing destination, and this tour proves it. Combining the ancient and deeply impressive Zenkōji Temple with the ever-popular snow monkeys of Jigokudani, you’ll learn all about the history and culture of the region from a dedicated English-speaking guide. Add in some local sake tasting and a slap-up lunch of regional specialities, and you’ll have experienced the very best this snowy prefecture has to offer.Nagano Prefecture (Zenkōji Temple, Jigokudani Monkey Park)
Approx. 9.30 am – 5.30 pm
- See the adorable snow-monkeys who soak in hot springs, deep in the valleys of Jigokudani
- Explore Zenkoji Temple, one of the oldest and most significant temples in Japan
- Lunch at the popular Monzen Terrace Enya, and sake tasting for those over 20 years of age
- Choose your meeting point from multiple options, for ease of planning
Seeing the sights in Nagano can be time consuming and involve some serious public-transportation planning if you’re not driving, but this tour takes care of everything. Perfect if you don’t want to worry about timings and tickets, you simply meet at your chosen spot and let your guide do the rest. It’s a great opportunity to learn about the traditional culture of Japan and ask your English-speaking guide all your long-wondered questions.
Times will vary depending on your pick-up point — we’ve opted for Nagano Station to give you a feel for the day’s timings. All tours end at the starting point, with hotel and bus terminal options available.
- 9.35 am: Meet your tour guide at Nagano Station (look for the Snow Monkey Resorts tag)
- Make your way to Zenkoji Temple and explore the sacred site, with insights from your guide and time to look around on your own (around 1.5 hours)
- Stop off for sake tasting at a local brewery, followed by lunch at Monzen Terrace Enya (around 1 hour and 20 minutes)
- Observe the world-famous snow monkeys as they soak in the natural hot springs of Jigokudani, and learn about their bathing habit, taking the chance to see them up close (around 2 hours)
- Head back to your chosen meeting point and relax