The temple includes a number of buildings including two large halls – the Goeidō Hall and the Amida Hall.
The temple was founded in 1602 when Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu split the Jōdo Shinshu sect into two in order to diminish their influence. The other part of the original sect became Nishi Honganji.
- 0.8 km from Gojō Station
- 0.9 km from Kyoto Station
- 1.0 km from Tambaguchi Station