Originally built as a detached palace in 1264 by the Emperor Kameyama, it was later dedicated as a Zen temple in 1291.
It was destroyed by fire in 1393, 1447, and 1467. It was rebuilt in 1597 and expanded throughout the Edo period.
It’s worth visiting the temple at the back and enjoy the peaceful zen gardens.
- 0.5 km from Keage Station
- 1.3 km from Higashiyama Station