|Address:||69-1 Awataguchi Sanjōbōchō Higashiyama-ku, Kyōto-shi, Kyōto-fu 605-0035 [map]|
393 m from Higashiyama Station
0.6 km from Keage Station
0.9 km from Sanjō Keihan Station
|Hours:||09.00 - 17.00 (Tickets sold until 16.30)|
A temple of the Tendai sect located in the Higashiyama district of Kyoto. The temple is also known as Awata Palace and was the temporary imperial residence after a great fire swept through Kyoto in 1788.
The temple was also home to the imperial abbot, a position that was chosen from among the members of the imperial family or high ranking court officials.
A feature of the grounds is a waterfall fed pond surrounded by eight hundred year old camphor trees.